Stamps.com turns a step-by-step instruction process into a thing of beauty.
Getting Started at photos.stamps.com
Remember Aqua, the Macintosh "lickable" interface? Turns out the real lickable, clickable interface is a postage stamp. Today, Stamps.com announced the ability to use your own photos as bona fide US postage. While the price is a little spendy, the design of the step-by-step instructions that walk you through the process is elegant, simple, and fool proof.
What are they doing right?
• Focussing on the task at hand
• Limiting choices
• Labelling task-based icons for crystal clarity
• Using typography to create a visual hierarchy
• Designing a visual environment that uses warm, friendly photos to demystify the process and subtly suggest, "Hey, I CAN do this!"
• Using color to reinforce actions. Take a look at the great big orange buttons used for "Continue" and "Order."